Garlic Lemon Chicken with Smashed Peas
- 500g chicken breast, cut into chunks (or small pieces if preferred)
- 1 tsp butter or olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed with the back of a knife
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- salt to season
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- ½ head broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 spears asparagus cut into thirds
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Season chicken with salt.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan on medium heat. Brown the chicken on both sides and remove from pan (transfer to a plate).
- Add the chopped onion, minced and crushed garlic, paprika, chilli flakes and pepper to the butter/oil left in the pan, occasionally stirring until garlic cooked through. Season with salt to taste and add in the thyme.
- Pour in the stock, coconut cream and lemon juice and bring to a slow simmer. Return the chicken back in to the pan; cover with lid and allow to simmer gently in the sauce for a further 10 minutes, or until cooked through. At this point start preparing your Smashed Peas (see below for instructions).
- Add vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- 400g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place peas, pinch of salt and water in medium sized saucepan over medium to high heat
- Cook, stirring until peas are soft.
- Drain peas and return to pan.
Add butter and lemon juice and mash peas until desired consistency (I like it a little chunky). Alternatively use a food processor to mash instead of doing it manually.
- Add oil slowly as mashing to get creamier consistency.
- Season with Salt and pepper.
Serve Garlic Lemon Chicken on top of bed of smashed peas.
Did you know we have a Nutritionist? Kasey can help you with weight loss, general healthy eating, IBS, Children’s nutrition and more!